Friday, September 09, 2005

Cabled Wrist Warmers

I love these. They only took me a few hours to whip up, and I think the cables make something that's otherwise punk look really femme. With winter coming up, I'm sure they'll get tons of wear.
















Finished! I used Lion Brand Jiffy 'Mohair' and size 8 needles. These measure about 8in around at the wrist and 9in through the hands. I have pretty small hands and wrists, but they fit my mom too, and she has fairly standard girl sized hands, so I'd say these are one size. I'm including a short tutorial, it's written assuming you know your way around a knitting needle, but if I get enough interest I'll write up a full pattern. If this is confusing, let me know, it's my first attempt at anything close to a pattern. (For personal use only).

CO 30 stitches, divided as follows 8K, 3P, 8K, 3P, 8K
This can be knitted in the round, but I knitted on straight needles and seamed.
The cables are twisted every 6 rows, with 3 stitches of reverse stockinette on either side and the remaining in stockinette.
Optional: I held the cable needle in front during the twists for the L hand and in back for the twists for the right hand for a little variety, but you can really cable these any way you want as long as it's done every 6 rows.
Knit 19 rows (3 twists) ending with a WS row after 3rd twist.
RS Increase row: K1, M1, K1, M1, knit/purl to last 2 stitches, M1, K1, M1, K1. (34 stitches)
Knit/Purl WS row normally. Repeat RS increase row. (38 Stitches)
Knit 1 WS row.
For R wrist warmer: Knit/Purl 32 stitches (this is a RS twist row), leave remaining 6 stitches on spare needle, turn. Knit seperately: 11 rows on larger piece and 12 on smaller, ending with WS row on both. Join on next RS row (twist row). Knit WS row.
For L wrist warmer: Knit RS/twist row. Knit/purl 32 stitches on WS row, leave remaining 6 stitches on spare needle, turn. Knit seperately: 11 rows on larger piece and 12 on smaller piece, ending with a RS (twist) row on both. Join on next WS row.
BOTH: Knit 6 more rows. (4 rows, twist, WS row) then BO leaving long yarn tail.
Finishing: Seam sides together (unless knitted in the round). The end!

1 comment:

Susan said...

XD adorable!!! I'm a beginner knitter, and I'd love to make these... Do you think you could put up the full pattern? I'd really appreciate it. :)